Mrs Jo Ward - email email@example.com
Miss Kathryn Allen - firstname.lastname@example.org
From September 2014 there were significant changes to how children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) will be assessed and supported.
- Disabled and young people with special needs are supported from birth to 25yrs
- Education, social care and health are working on a new combined approach
- There will be a ‘Local Offer’ from Derbyshire County Council of support which clearly sets out for families what services are available and how to access them
- Single SEN support replaces School Action and School Action Plus support
- Statements of need will no longer be given. Pupils supported by a statement will move onto a new Education, Health and Care plan (EHC). Giving everyone with an EHC plan the right to request a personal budget
- Introduction of mediation opportunities for disputes and the right to appeal for young people if they are unhappy with their support.
The Children and Families Act 2014 says that Derbyshire will have to produce a 'Local Offer' for children and young people with special educational needs / disabilities aged 0-25 and their families. The 'Local Offer' should provide clear information about support and opportunities that are available.